- Published: Monday, March 13, 2017 03:55 PM
Join State Senator Andy Manar and Macoupin County Sheriff Shawn Kahl for a senior fraud workshop presented by the Illinois attorney general's office.
CARLINVILLE – Carlinville-area senior citizens can learn how to protect themselves and their bank accounts from scam artists and fraudulent businesses during a special workshop this month.
A consumer fraud seminar for senior citizens will take place at 10 a.m. Friday, March 24 at the Carlinville Senior Center, 213 N. East St., in Carlinville. The event is free and tailored to senior citizens, who frequently are targeted by unscrupulous telemarketers, online scams and door-to-door salespeople.
Guests will learn:
- how to protect themselves, family members and friends from a variety of deceptive practices that prey upon senior citizens and the elderly;
- how to avoid identity theft;
- how to check their credit report;
- how to file a consumer fraud complaint; and more.
The event is sponsored by State Senator Andy Manar (D-Bunker Hill), Macoupin County Sheriff Shawn Kahl and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.
For more information, call Manar’s district office at 618-585-4848.